Watch this freaky video of a man having hundreds of live maggots removed from his ear.
Indian physician Dr Vikram Yadav, who uploaded the video, says the unnamed young man got the maggot infestation after a housefly layed its eggs in his ear when he was sleeping. The larvae hatched into hundreds of maggots each about one centimeter long, which Dr Yadav eventually removed with tweezers.
Aural myiasis, as it is known, is the parasitic infestation of the nose or ears by fly larvae. The maggots grow inside the host by feeding on living or dead tissue and liquid body substance. People with aural myasis might experience buzzing in their ear and notice smelly discharges.
If left untreated there is the possibility of the maggots penetrating the brain. In such cases there is an 8% chance of death.
Dr Yadav says the best way of removing the maggots is to suffocate them so that they crawl to the surface where they can be picked out with tweezers.
He also offers this piece of good advice for prevention:
‘If anybody sleeps, a child, an old person, and you see any houseflies there, put some cloth on their face so they don’t enter into the orifices and lay their eggs. Prevention is better,’ he says.